Friday, June 4, 2010

Meet Duke


As I sit here on this rainy Friday night, my 4 month old pug puppy, Duke, is eyeing up a plant in the corner of the living room. He is in 'attack mode' and inching around the chair trying to figure out a way to sneak up on this mysterious object. Oh wait, he heard an odd sound coming from the television ..back to chewing on Army (His armadillo chew toy). I can honestly just sit and watch him for hours. And to think, a couple weeks ago this little guy couldn't stay awake for more than a half hour at a time!

Anyways, I'm not exactly sure how to start a blog, but I think I should set up my story. After living in New York for about a year with my boyfriend and his 4 year old pug, Jack, I moved back home to Pittsburgh. Long story short, I love my boyfriend and all, but Jack ..oh I just fell in love with him. I would be miserable after a long day of classes, basketball practice, and to top it off a grueling walk up 5 sets of stairs. I'd open the door to my boyfriends apartment and just like that, I would forget about everything. Jack always greeted me at the door as if it was the best thing that had ever happened to him. For this reason, along with various other pug qualities, I knew I wanted one of my own one day.

Fast forward to the beginning of 2010. I was sick of waiting and the pug hunt was officially on. I did a little research online, but I felt extremely overwhelmed. Since Jack is a fawn male, I wanted to switch it up a bit and decided to look for a black male. After a ton of frustrating internet searches, emails, and phone calls I finally got in touch with a breeder who had 3 pugs left for sale - 2 fawns and a black male - That day I drove out to see the little guy and immediately fell in love. Two weeks later I drove 45 mins up the highway and picked up the little stinker.

After being around this puppy for about 3 months now, I can describe Duke in one word, TURD. Anywhere I go, Duke has to go. Anything I touch, Duke has to touch. Of all the toys I have bought for him, he prefers to chew my shoes, newspapers, bathing suits, HAIR (that's right, the hair on my head), pillows, socks, hairdryer defuser and so on. But after all is said and done, I love this little guy. He has certainly brightened up this transition period in my life, and I love the bond we already share.

Now as a worn-out Duke sleeps on my shoulders, I am kicking myself for not starting this sooner in his little puppy life! But I know I will have plenty to write about in the months to come. So join me as I attempt to keep up with my job, exercise schedule, social life and this crazy puppy of mine. I guarantee you will be entertained.

That's it for now. Happy Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment