Monday, June 7, 2010

Gotta Love Monday Mornings!


After a wonderful weekend road trip with my little guy, I was thinking maybe, just MAYBE, we were finally getting this potty training thing down. Unfortunately, Duke found a way to piss all over my dreams. Literally.

Saturday afternoon the monster and I set out on a three hour car ride to surprise my dad for his 62nd birthday. Since Duke prefers to sit on my lap, and only my lap in the car, I chose to be a responsible driver and put him in his mini crate for the duration of the car ride. The mini crate is just that, mini, and he can only really stand and turn around in it. After putting up a pretty big fight, Duke finally went into the crate and within minutes he was sound asleep.

Once we arrived at the hotel I took him for a long walkies because about an hour later I had plans to meet up with my parents. Being an accommodating momma, I put Duke in the hotel bathroom with his bed, water bowl, and an abundance of chew toys. Before I left I was sure to "Duke proof" the entire bathroom. After a couple of hours and one too many drinks, I came back to the hotel room expecting to find the remains of a battlefield in the bathroom. To my disbelief Duke was sleeping peacefully in his bed and the bathroom floor was spotless! Amazed, I took my pup out to go potty then went to bed for the remainder of the night.

Besides some minor windshield wiper issues that I won't get into, Duke endured the car ride home just as well as the previous day. Sunday evening I was feeling pretty good. Not only was he learning to hold his bladder and go potty outside, but also he was beginning to master the sit and stay commands. I couldn't help but think that my turd of a puppy was starting to listen to me. Enter Monday Morning ....

Duke (in his big crate directly next to my bed) and I were sleeping like babies until my 6:45am alarm went off. At the sound of first beat of my alarm ringtone, Duke was whining to be let out of his crate. I, on the other hand, love hitting that snooze button. An extra 10 minutes was all I needed, so I grabbed Duke before he could take a leak in his crate. As he does every morning, the monster was jumping all over me, licking my face and biting my pillows. Ugh okay okay I'll get up. Leaving Duke on my bed (because "he won't go on my bed"), I grabbed a sweatshirt, turned around and saw the very last thing any person would want to see at 6:50 Monday morning. There he was, in all of his little puppy glory, taking a nice, long morning pee on my comforter. Happy Monday morning to me!

Now as I lay in fresh out of the dryer bed linen and my tired little pug pup snuggles up next to me, I can only be optimistic: Duke will be going potty outside in no time, and come to think of it, it was probably time to wash my sheets anyways, right?

1 comment: