Thursday, June 17, 2010

Duke's Girlfriend


Each morning as I get ready for work, I have a little puppy attached to my feet. Literally. He likes to chew my toes, ankles, and pretty much anything that moves. He follows me from my room to my bathroom, my room to my bathroom, my room to my closet (and so on) I don't even know how many times each morning. One may ask, how do you refrain from stepping on the little guy?? And my answer: I do. A lot. But I must admit I have become quite nimble in the past couple months. I was beginning to think the Monster was obsessed with me until someone else caught his slightly-lazy eye ...


This past weekend one of my best friends from college, Beth, stopped by Pittsburgh for a short visit. After some minor complications which are neither here nor there, we made it to my house. I ran excitedly across the kitchen to release the Monster, and the second I opened the mini crate door, Duke bolted out of his crate running directly to Beth. He did his usual welcome home dance (even letting out a bit of pee), without taking one second to notice me! I tried to call him over so he could do the welcome home dance for me, but I got nothing. Feeling a bit depressed, I grabbed one of Beth's bags and we headed upstairs to get ready for the evening.

It was then when I realized maybe this new arrangement wasn't so bad after all. The second Beth put her bag down, Duke jumped right on top of it and began tearing articles of clothing out of the bag. Discovering anything from shorts, shirts, socks, shoes and bras, Duke would take an object in his mouth and run furiously down the hallway. As Beth was chasing her new Toms down the hall, I couldn't help but laugh. I couldn't remember the last time I was able to put on a pair of pants without an eight pound puppy hanging from the pant leg. I forgot what it was like to put on a shoe and not find the other one all the way across the room in my puppy's mouth. Suddenly those feelings of depression I felt earlier turned into feelings of sheer happiness.



Duke continued to follow (and terrorize) his new love throughout the weekend, and come Monday morning in one final attempt to impress his lady friend, he got a hold of the toilet paper in the downstairs bathroom and ran with it through the house. I thought that only happened on TV!



Now, Beth is gone, and Duke is back in that old familiar spot between my feet. He may have a fickle heart, but I have a feeling he will always come back to me .....as long as I keep giving him treats!

2 comments:

  1. I think you're a better girlfriend, Annie... Beth is weird. :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi friend! so glad i found you! i miss you! duke is sooooo handsome! xoxo

    ReplyDelete